June 1, 2012

Photographic Time Travel 1910-1920

fortepan_17912s










































A fellow self-photographer a hundred years ago...

fortepan_13338s































A picture from around 1912 that would work just perfectly on most of the blogs I read in 2012. Let's just say I'd love to borrow the whole outfit.

fortepan_13445s




































A radiant smile and a great belt!

fortepan_15164s






































Looking at these pictures my first instict was to reach out to these girls, to connect, as I do every day when I leave comments on blogs. I felt them as close as I do my blogger friends. It was such an eerie feeling to remind myself that they are now frozen in time forever, and their youth and kindness that radiates from the pictures is not in this world anymore. 

fortepan_10375s



















The 1910s was a turbulent decade in Hungary, the First World War rearranging and ending so many lives. I hope this soldier returned to this girl after the battles...

fortepan_14185s
































And that this defiant nurse helped many of the wounded and was safe herself at the end of the decade. The mystery of these pictures is that we'll never know...

fortepan_4577s

















Looking through Fortepan's collection from between 1910 and 1920, what you notice is that so many of the pictures that people kept and cherished and that eventually made their way to the world wide web a hundred years later, talk about happiness and joy, of friends, families and loves. I think we feel close to these pictures because in essence, nothing changed. These are the same things we keep close to our hearts.

fortepan_21090s




















Look at these wonderful swimsuits! What a summer it must have been!

fortepan_7009s























And these girlfriends in a brilliantly lit café? I wonder what they talk about!

fortepan_13380s























I kept this one for last. I'm pretty sure these girls are wearing their boyfriends' suits, posing with their unlit cigarettes, and judging from the cheekyness of their smiles and the liquor on the table, the boys must be quite scantily dressed. :D 

In case you missed my first Photographic Time Travel post, all of these wonderful pictures are from Fortepan.hu, which collects amateur photographs from 1900 to 1990, which you can browse and enjoy and also share if you feel like it! The creators collected old negatives and slides, saved pictures from being lost forever. Luckily for us, one day they started to scan and publish them online for everyone to see. So now time travel really is possible for us! All we need is some free time to immerse yourself in the everyday life of the 20th century... So go on and visit Fortepan and have a browse. You can also read more about their project here!

14 comments:

Kira said...

These photos are great, I love looking at old photographs!

Jamillah said...

woah, beautiful. it's funny how the same strings run through all of us, no? no matter place and time. i wonder those things too when looking at archive pictures, what are they saying?! are they happy, nervous, in love?

beautiful post madeline.

Fashion Tales.... said...

I love black and white photography! Beautiful post!

Badtastetoasttoast said...

This is such a great concept for a website, to collect old amateur photograph! Lovely! It's so magical to look at old photos and imagine what these people might have done or where they might have gone. And eerie indeed if you think of how long they are probably already gone.

I'm having a giveaway at the moment, come over and enter if you like: http://badtastetoasttoast.blogspot.de/2012/06/vedette-shapewear-giveaway.html

happy Sunday dear! :)

India Harlow said...

This post really made me think! In some way the mystery of old photos is that it's left to your imagination to decide what comes next. The photo that struck me most was the the one of the soilder and his girl. As you wrote I really hope he returned safely to her.

Lovely post :D

India
x

themarilynadventures.blogspot.co.uk

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Kira, I'm so glad you like them! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Darling! Sometimes we tend to think people were all very different a 100 years ago, but I don't think that's true at all... It's so nice to relise that. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Carina, I'll check it out! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

India, I'm so glad you liked it! Thank you for the thoughtful comment!

Caroline said...

I love this post (more old photos posts omggg!), the second photo is BEAUTIFUL! Love the old swimming costumes too, would love to own one for this summer! xxx

wardrobe experience said...

thanks for sharing! i always love to look at old pictures.

Lasalleariane said...

Nice old pics Madeline
I love them
Thanks for telling us about the web site

Michael Meurer said...

Hello, Madeline:

...bumped into this posting while looking for something far different - which is how some great discoveries are made, eh?

I agree w/ Caroline, re Photo 2. It precisely matches a photographe I imagined and described for a short story I wrote in college... over thirty years ago.

An intrigued daughter of mine nudged me a while back to turn that ancient piece of drivel into a novel... and I've been doing so, these last few years, and have been having great fun at it.

Like a couple of Jack Finney's classic novels, my own (questionable) work may rely on some period photographs; is there anything you can tell us about that second photograph? You mentioned it was 1912-ish; any info re who/where/more?

Thanks, and keep posting and photographing!

Cheers!
Aging Child

Aging Child said...

Whoops; please disregard previous question... am checking out Fortepan right now. Thank you for the lead, ma'am!

Regards,
Aging child